Wednesday, December 1, 2010

SBUX Frustration

Yesterday, a couple coworkers and I went to Starbucks. I've recently discovered the salty-sweet combo of salted caramels, and wanted it in latte form. Easy enough, I thought. Starbucks always has those ingredients on hand, right? Little did I know I would be stepping into a modern day version of an Abbott and Costello skit, where everyone would be confused and no one would understand what I am talking about.

Me: Can I get a grande salted caramel latte?
Starbucks employee: What?
Me: A grande salted caramel latte? Do you have that here?
Starbucks employee. No. We have a salted caramel hot chocolate and a salted caramel mocha.
Me: Okay, but you do have the ingredients for a salted caramel latte, right?
Employee: (asks manager) Can we do a salted caramel latte? We don't have that on the menu.
Manager: (to me) We have a salted caramel hot chocolate and a salted caramel mocha.
Me: Okay. Can you just put salt and caramel in a latte?
(Employee and Manager look at each other in confusion)
Manager: Do you want coffee in it?
Me: Yes. Espresso, steamed milk, caramel, salt.
Manager: Salted caramel mocha?
Me: I don't want chocolate in it.
(Awkward pause)
Me: Okay, can I get a salted caramel mocha WITHOUT the mocha?
Employee: Sure!

4 comments:

Librarygirl said...

This story reminds me of the time my family was at this really fancy pants restaurant my mom picked out in Phoenix. The service was terrible and it took forever for them to first seat us all, then re-seat us so we weren't blinded by the sun, then a further 30 minutes to get drink orders. My mom finally sits down and asks for a ginger ale and they go to fill the drink orders. Keep in mind this is a place with a full bar. So our waiter comes back and tells her he doesn't have ginger ale, but he can mix coke and sprite because "That's ginger ale right?". We were shocked at his not having a clue what it was and the meal just went downhill from there. Needless to say we're not going there again.

Christian said...

Ahhhh starbucks. They must just have a "salted caramel mocha" button that they press and one appears. Salted caramel latte does sound pretty good though.

Candace said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me when Cait worked at the ice cream shop and her co-worker asked a man if he wanted a banana in his banana split. Cait appologized to the man. "Sorry. She's new."