Monday, August 25, 2008

Homework: day one

I am starting to feel overwhelmed by my classwork, and it hasn't even been one week. I need to just buckle down and do it, but I keep getting sidetracked. I did accomplish one task, though. I introduced myself on my class message board. Here's what I wrote:

My name is Brianna, and I’m interested in public and academic libraries. I’m probably one of the few students in the program who has no experience working in a library.

My husband and I recently moved to Rock Hill from Salt Lake City, Utah, but I grew up in a small tourist town called Moab, Utah. I have a BA in English from Westminster College, a liberal arts school in Utah.

Prior to moving, I was a newspaper reporter for The Salt Lake Tribune, but I decided that the field of journalism wasn’t right for me. I think a MLIS degree will allow me to do the parts of my former job that I enjoyed (researching, writing), while HOPEFULLY leaving behind the parts I didn’t like (hate-mail, massive layoffs, and the salary of a fast-food worker). Plus, it also helps that I love books and organizing things.

I don’t know anyone in the area, and I’d love to meet up with any classmates near Rock Hill or Charlotte. Email me, or look me up on Facebook. My hobbies include crocheting, listening to gangsta rap, and playing cribbage.

While I'm worried that it may come off as sounding too cynical, I wanted my classmates to get a feel for who I am. I think that by choosing three of my very different hobbies, I might make friends easier, and maybe the professors will remember me.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

...and cribbage. dork! i miss you!!